Comcast NBCUniversal Supports CfAL's Digital Literacy Program

Digital Literacy: Expanding Learning to the Home

In an effort to close the technology gap, Concepts for Adaptive Learning (CfAL) has been providing programs that offer free technology training and resources to low-income families since 2001. One of CfAL’s programs, Digital Literacy, reduces the achievement gap by providing families with the tools needed to expand education and literacy to the home by providing tablets filled with educational applications, and teaching caregivers best practices for using technology safely in the home.


With a grant of $15,000 from Comcast/NBC Universal, CfAL will continue to expand and support families in the Greater New Haven area. CfAL’s Digital Literacy program currently serves more than 100 New Haven families, impacting more than 100 families, all of which qualify for free and reduced lunch. 35% of the families of children attend Farnam Nursery School, and the remaining 65% of the families have children enrolled in New Haven Public Schools. Tablets, which are programmed and managed by CfAL to only access educational programming, are used to access distance learning due to COVID-19, and expand learning to the home.


CfAL's program has been recognized by the City of New Haven, Farnam Preschool and New Haven Public Schools for successfully expanding learning to low-income families. Based on results, New Haven Reads began offering this program to students enrolled in the Kindergarten program.


While the program serves children, providing educational tablets to families, CfAL's Digital Literacy program supports parents, and focuses on increasing parental engagement in children's education. In fact, the program is rooted in teaching parents the best practices to use technology to expand learning to the home, and safely use technology to support child development. To ensure parents are fully supported, CfAL partners with Southern Connecticut State University's School of Education. SCSU's Future Teachers provide direct support to parents, addressing tech needs and providing parent learning workshops. Workshop topics include: Impact of Technology on Child Development, Impact of Garming on Young Learners, Best Practices to Use Google Classroom and many more.


Through strategic partnerships with educational organizations, CfAL’s Digital Literacy program expands learning by providing families with educational tablets that are programmed and managed by CfAL. Education partners work closely with families and children by providing lessons and incorporating the tablets into their programs. For example, using video conferencing, students connect with New Haven Public School teachers to complete reading and math assignments such as Lexia and Khan Academy Kids, in addition to many others. At Farnam Nursery School, the teachers communicate with parents through ClassDojo, and provide students with distance learning assignments to be completed daily in programs such as Khan Academy Kids, ABCYa!, PBS Kids and many more.


Thank you, Comcast NBCUniversal for helping to make this program accessible to all families!




7 views

Cfal Donors & Sponsors

Thank you to the many donors and sponsors who have joined our efforts. 

Together, we can...and will...close the technology gap!

CfAL partners with local organizations, and can be found in these locations:

Newhallville Area:

The Literacy Resource Center

5 Science, Ste. 2C

New Haven, CT 06511

Fair Haven Area:

Farnam Community

162 Fillmore Street

New Haven, CT 06513

Want to connect? Call us at 475.227.3270.

CfAL is a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3).  EIN: 06-1623641

  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram